Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Miles of smiles

Determined to complete the ten-hour drive within the hours of daylight, carrying Red Canoe from the southernmost tip of Ohio to an unknown cabin on the lakeshore of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, an early morning’s start, by late afternoon, left us giddy with anticipation of a wonderful week.

click photo for a smile

And each hour further into a landscape that resembled the north woods of the Northeast, a place I grew to love as a child, made me wonder if I have been imprinted, much as a young animal identifies most strongly with those images to which he is first exposed.
Why the gritty texture beneath my feet or the silhouette of a jagged tree line against the evening sky, still sends the sensation of its being a perfect “fit,” even after years in different surroundings.
And why a place I've never before been, instantly feels like home.

Mackinac Bridge as seen from the U.P.



We amused ourselves imagining conversations involving this interesting display where we stopped to refill our gas tank.

Caption Contest
(Yes, those are 50 lb. bags of carrots!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Grizz………… said...

Nina…well, you headed into my favorite of all places, the beautiful and lonely U.P. Don't know where you went, but I have a piece of land on the shore of Lake Superior north of Seney. I wish I were up there right now, watching waves, hunting agates, and seeing the swamp maples glow like crimson flames amid the dark green spruce and the golden tamaracks.

Hey, I see the bags of deer feed are out and ready to attract this year's supply of venison. Bet there were bags of apples, too.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Yup- I was going to suggest that the carrots were for the deer too. Our neighbor up at Hasty is an old farmer with an extensive apple orchard and he sells the wind-falls as "deer apples".

KGMom said...

Hmmm--you can tell I'm not a hunter. All I could think of seeing 50 lb. bags of carrots is--there's gonna be a lot of happy rabbit.
Er, what's up, doc.
Or since the bags are at a gas station--er, fill 'er up, doc.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The UP is one of my favorite places. It "feels" good up there. As to the 50#bags of carrots. That must be a mistake or someone made a deal.

Heather said...

When I saw the carrots, my mind went to horses.... but what's really got me more interested are the bags of water conditioner pellets and the ice melt... Those items lead me to my proposed caption: "For hard water and hard winters."

Carolyn H said...

Nina, Oh, I love the UP. I backpacked through Pictured Rocks years ago and haven't gotten the place out of my system yet. I likely won't get back until next spring, now.

Have a great trip.

Carolyn H.

Nishant said...

he UP is one of my favorite places. It "feels" good up there. As to the 50#bags of carrots. That must be a mistake or someone made a deal.
Make website india

Kathi said...

NOw, see - with those 50# bags of carrots, all I could think of was how many experience points they were worth! (FarmVille, for non-addicts)

Can't wait to see more of the trip, and how much fun Red Canoe had.

Deborah Godin said...

Gorgeous shot of Mighty Mac! I love the UP too, my folks were from there, and I spent my childhood summers at my grandparents on Bay de Noc.