Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Swinging

I love to sit out on the porch swing. Swaying ever so gently, looking down over the yard to the pastures across the road. Very little traffic passes by--an occasional pickup truck, most likely. Otherwise, a perfect, peaceful respite from our hectic lives.

A tiny spider swings with me--her web perfectly placed between the chains suspending us. She is the size of the head of a pin--yes, the itsy, bitsy spider. Her orb web is enormous, relative to her size. The silken lines, so delicate, yet strong.



I have seen her here, mending, each morning, the night's snags.
Then resting...waiting.
And, of course, swinging.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Isn't it a wonder that something so tiny can build and maintain a web so complex?

Anonymous said...

They always find the strangest places to build! Love these pictures!

Mary said...

Nina,

I love your blog. You are so peaceful. Watch out for those Orb Weavers - their webs are very, very sticky! LOL!

Mary

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Yes, I'm very careful not to disturb her whenever I sit and swing. She has enough to do without my tearing holes in her web.

Cathy said...

What a perfect story. You and the spider, swinging, swinging.