Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Slow Snow

Our Gravel Drive

The snow has come.
Yesterday’s forecast arriving a day late, upon roads sprayed and scattered with salt—readied for a Midwest winter.
More ice, than inches, the warm surround quickly melts each frozen flake into a slippery covering, paralyzing travelers across the city.

I sit in a line of traffic, inching forward as each car gets a grip on the slick surface and rolls forward under a green light. Against the dark shadow of the underpass, I watch the falling flakes drop slowly from the whitened sky, and land in small clusters on my windshield.
Just for a moment, their delicate shapes remain.
Then they are gone.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are getting a mess of snow, sleet, rain, or as a meteorologist once remarked "we are in the pink"

Unknown said...

The top photo of the tire mark over the snow is exquisite! Good eye!

abb said...

We were 2 degrees from having a delayed opening this morning. I surely could have slept in!
Your way with words is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You have an real abilty to appreciate the beauty in the most mundane subjects. I really enjoy your blog!

NCmountainwoman said...

Great description of snow falling on salted streets. Hazardous driving all around. I loved the photographs.

bobbie said...

See how good you are? You can even make an icy gravel drive look pretty!

RuthieJ said...

Oh Nina, ice in the winter is the worst....and it sounds like maybe more to come. You are an exceptional person to find the beauty in something so treacherous. I hope you're staying warm and safe!

Jain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nice photos and post, as usual. I like the sense of paused motion, then going again, in the final paragraph.

Beth F said...

Very nice shots. I like the textures and the lovely blues.

Thanks for stopping by!

Reader Wil said...

Your decription of the falling snow is very poetical and the photos are like modern paintings!
No snow for us, though it is very cold. Especially on Tuesday it was so cold that it took me an hour to get warm again when I got home.

Kathie Brown said...

Nina, you are getting better all the time! Such poetic insight. You have captured the moment in woods that make me feel what you felt.