Saturday, March 14, 2009

Birdwatching

Canada Goose, watching

I woke and went out Saturday, to join others on a bird walk.
This early morning, straddling both winter and spring, I set out in wool socks and heavy jacket, left hat and mittens behind. And found that what normally is the perfect layering combination for this cooler weather, at our slow pace, soon gave in to shivers and a chill.
Birding is more about the watching—less about the walk.

But from a few well-placed blinds along the trails, we were able to settle in quietly, and watch--the cool morning air, bright and crisp, reaching through the small slits placed at eye- level around the small shelter where we sat.
Beyond the wooden walls, feeders--with all attractions to bring them close enough to view.
One by one they resumed the morning feeding frenzy.
Every so often, turning back to the shelter to watch the fourteen eyes, black binoculars, and camera--
quietly watching.


White-breasted Nuthatch, watching



American Robin


Pine Siskin, watching


American Tree Sparrow


Pine Siskin, watching

Pine Siskin and American Goldfinch


American Tree Sparrow and White-throated Sparrow, watching


Tufted Titmouse, watching

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

NCmountainwoman said...

I love the birds watching the bird watchers. What sweet little things.

Kathi said...

Who was watching whom, Nina? I'm glad you were able to give the little birdies some entertainment to brighten their day!

Sorry I had to work and missed the fun.

~Kathi

bobbie said...

The pine siskin is so comical. I hope he enjoyed watching you.

abb said...

Glad I ~came along~. It's always nice when the birds are identified. More than once I've learned what I thought was one kind of bird - wasn't.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great get together. Nice little checklist as well.

Susan Gets Native said...

I think I recognize that boardwalk...CNC?
You were watched more than you were watching, I think! :)

Bernie said...

So beautiful, so informative, now if I could just retain everything you teach me. Hope you are warm and your chills are gone. Again I thank you for sharing. :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yes, this time of year it is tricky trying to figure out what to wear. I started out in turtle neck coat etc. Now I am stripped down as much as possible. Ha... Good to hear you enjoyed your outing anyway. We had eared grebe the first time since 1998. Other than that not much migrating through yet.

kate smudges said...

It sounds as if you had a wonderful day of bird-watching.Your photographs are so beautiful, Nina! Hope you have a good week!

KaHolly said...

Some mutual watching going on. As I peruse my photos of "Geeky Birders", I can understand why the birds would have to take a second look! Well done.

dguzman said...

Do you think you were a lifer for any of those birdies?