Sunday, June 14, 2009

For Battle


It is warm under this early summer sun.
Wrapped in heavy jeans, tucked deeply within my boots, I step carefully along, walking the edge of our pond—its few inches of water, rimmed by a brilliant tangle of grass.

Thinking boots alone enough, I walked here days before--the tender green at the edge, inviting. Only to find, instead, that I was greeted by cutting blades, so eager to slash the flesh below my shorts, that, even as I moved slowly and gingerly between them, the tiny barbs caught easily, ripped ungraciously. And, days later, boasted of their conquest in the many red scratches crisscrossing a 12-inch section on both of my legs.

Chased away, I have returned on this day, dressed for battle.
A fine bead of sweat inches its way, tickling, trickling--
beneath my armor, to reach my ankle.
It is in this savage land, defended by blades and swords, that damsels and dragons dwell.







Eastern Pondhawk, female,
emerging from larval skin (exuvia) several minutes earlier

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Crayons said...

Wow. I have uncomfortable goose bumps after reading this. It's a nice piece of writing. The photos are captivating. I admire your patience and determination.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. The dragonflies are magical!

Mary said...

Oh, Nina! Sorry! But I'm glad you didn't give up... That last photo is breathtaking.

Mary

Bird said...

Damn, I'd love to see a Dragon emerging like that. And I sympathise with the torn skin! Mind you a summer isn't a summer till I've got grazes and nettle rash! :D

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am so happy that you chose to do battle to show us the wonders of your world.

Deborah Godin said...

That was so immediate, I felt I was there, almost had to check my own legs for welts! And that second shot - looks like a winged blade! Wonderful!

Wanda..... said...

Beautiful Nina!
I too just posted a dragonfly...but have no idea what type it is...It's purplish black with 2 long yellow stripes...

Wanda..... said...

Thank you Nina!

Q said...

It is the magic of the Damselflies and the Dragons that makes the cuts and bites worth while. I understand. I also want to be near them. This is an amazing series of photos. I am smitten with the Ebony Jewel Wings.
Sherry

Adrienne Zwart said...

Nina, you have such a wonderfully poetic way with words. I love how each post draws me in with your description. The photos of the insects are well worth the discomfort, I hope. We, your readers, sure do enjoy viewing the results!

Tom said...

Great reading as always :O)
Your pondhawks are well captured... I was trying to shoot some of our dragonfly last week.. oh! I did eventually manage a good shot or two but it took me a long time..

Tom :O)
My blogs today show Meadow Views and Butterfly's

Kathie Brown said...

What is that grass that cuts you so?