Thursday, June 25, 2009

Relief (SWF)


A strong breeze moves this dramatic sky, changing moment by moment—
pink granite clouds curling around one another,
pushing...piling up...and passing on.
Perhaps to end in rain, in the night--
the kind that falls softly and brings with it, a cool morning.



I walk here to clean my spirit—
throw the windows open wide on the cares of the day,
let the breezes lift them from me,
draw in the fresh, new air.


soybeans sprouting


And discover this new spring green,
the first emergent growth,
the promise of this field, for this season--
to grow, each day, a little stronger.


First Green



corn stalks in field after harvest

The field behind our house is farmed in rotations of corn and soybeans. Each spring, I watch and wait to see, for this year, which it will be.
The low, rolling fields of soy, or the narrow path between fields of corn, so different, both lovely.
One day, though, neither, as I watch them one by one, stand empty--then sprout a row of houses.



See more Skywatch here.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

poefusion said...

That sky grabs your attention and holds it there for a minute, doesn't it? Those soy beans look to be growing strong. Hope all is well.

Darla said...

Great sky photos, very dramatic! Love that you included plants too, my favorite.

Sanna said...

Lovely sky photos. Nice to see what's growing too. =)

Vita Stunder said...

Great skys and I like the growing shots too :)

Have a great weekend!
Anna

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Gorgeous skies Nina. Don't you just wish you could buy up all the fields around your house so you don't have to watch those houses begin to sprout.?!

Lynn said...

Beautiful! I love those first two photos.

jabblog said...

Wonderful photographs - lovely colours!

Photo Cache said...

Just a fan, of your writing and photography. Happy skywatching.

bobbie said...

Those clouds are the most wonderful colors!

Bird said...

I love that kind of cloud - so delicately coloured. And reading about how the neighbouring field suddenly sprouted a crop of houses sent a shiver down my spine. One of the most formative experiences for me as a child was seeing the meadows and ponds that had been my playground sprout their own crop of new houses. It affected me to the point that the name of my website honours those lost meadows and their original inhabitants.

Anne-Berit said...

Lovely sky photos,I really like the colours in the clouds.

Deborah Godin said...

Great post, the gorgeous skies and the sprouting earth below!

Adrienne Zwart said...

Wonderful shots of the pink-tinged clouds.

Deborah Carr said...

I just found your site...so glad I did. Your words and images sing.

What if those people who see, breathe and touch stopped sharing what they see, breathe and touch?

Anonymous said...

I like the contrast of sky and soil, Nina. As always you enchant with both words and pictures.

Nina @Nature Remains said...

Deborah--thank you for visiting!
I always hope others find a connection here--and am thrilled each time a chance meeting turns out this way!

Come back any time!

Robin said...

Just.....sad.

Carol Mattingly said...

I mirrored a trip I took to Washington and the Olympic Peninsula several years ago. It brought back all those great memories. Thank you so much!

RuthieJ said...

Oh Nina, I feel your pain at the approaching subdivision.....more lost habitat and more traffic and noise in your neck of the woods.
Your sky and clouds are beautiful though.

Arija said...

Lovely skywatch clouds Nina.
Do the sprouting huses mean that you will be surrounded by lawn mower, leaf blower and ghetto-blaster noise instead th rustling of cornstalks?