Saturday, May 10, 2008

Remembering


White coral bells
upon a slender stalk,
Lilies of the valley
deck my garden walk.
Oh, don’t you wish
that you could
hear them ring.
That will happen only
when the fairies sing.


I remember singing this as a young girl, at my mother's side as she played the piano. A patch of lilies sat just beyond our front step.
When I married and moved across the state, I took a shovel-full to remember my home. Twice since, I've moved--each time a bit further.
And each time, the lilies have come, too.
Today, there are miles between us.
And the memories she had are gone.


But, there, in a corner of my garden, it is easy to remember.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

bobbie said...

Lovely, Nina.

For me, it was forsythia, following me from home to home.

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful writing. Lilies of the Valley were at my childhood Minnesota home. When I was very young I'd raid Mom's garden and bring her a handful of the Lilies on Sundays before church. She never got mad. When we moved to California no one seemed to have any. 30 years later I moved to PA and to my surprise in our first spring here, my driveway was bordered with Lilies of the Valley and I always think of Mom.

Rurality said...

Beautiful!

Lily of the valley reminds me of my mother too! She grew them when I was very young.

NCmountainwoman said...

Lovely tribute to your mother. Isn't it wonderful to have triggers that bring back memories every year?

Dave Coulter said...

What a nice post. Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

This is really nice and worth remembering (to share with everyone)!

cestoady said...

A sweet and dear tribute to your mom.

With mine ,I remember being at her side in church while she joyfully sang--- even now, when I sing,I know she is singing with me.

Texas Travelers said...

Very nice post and appropriate.

Troy and Martha

Ruth said...

We sang that song as a round in Brownies. I love Lily of the Valley and Forget-me-nots.

Mary said...

Nice memory of your Mom, Nina. Beautiful.

LauraHinNJ said...

You got the lily of the valley pic I've been trying for. Gorgeous!

I brought some of my mom's lilies home with me too.

Toouching post.