Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rain

Lichens and Fungi on dead log

The bright color brought me there, subtle beauty kept me, hunkered down, after rains had passed, on the narrow bank beside a tiny creek. This area untouched by the years’ changes, woods to pasture to scrub. Intact land, preserved as all around it lost to agriculture—these small plots still stand, saved because they could not serve.

White Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum

In air dripping with the sweetness of fruit blossoms, more wildflowers, natives here, beneath the old trees marking the small creek’s path.
Nodding beneath the heavy droplets,
their broad leaves drinking in spring.
While toads add their voices, each to the growing trill, the melancholy chords, build in a distant pond.

White Trillium
The Ohio State Wild Flower

I pass a neighbor’s yard, each evening, as I walk down our lane. His woods, old like mine, now raked bare, piles burned, the dark earth turned and prepared to seed—grass.
And I wonder if he has chosen to rid the banks of these old beauties,
or if he has not seen them as I have--
on a dim morning, drinking in the spring rain.

Mayapple, Podophyllum peltatum

Mayapple, not yet unfurled

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Kelly said...

...such a beautiful post...one of my favorites. The last four lines are so soft and gentle...and visual. You have so much talent.

Robin said...

You do this blog so well... you let us forget that you are so close to other lives. Every picture of each little being seems private and special.

Living in a huge city, I try to see things the way you do, now. In a singular way, the wider picture being of no consequence.

Always, focus.

Sometimes the constraints make me tired. Sad.

I want life's panorama.


Whatever.

I'm grateful for you.

Julie Zickefoose said...

There is a man on the corner of our county road who every spring goes out and takes a weedwhacker to the trillium and bluets--bluets!!! that try to grow on his great huge earthen bank. I will say this: he puts out a fabulous Christmas light display.

I love this post.

giggles said...

I think I'm gonna "transplant" some of those wildflowers to our yard and let them spread.... During the PA Young Birders walk, I asked Kevin where I could legally "borrow" a few plants.... I know where I can go, now... All of you naturalists I visit in this here bloggin' world are truly inspiring me.... the violets, spring beauties... I want them in my yard...!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I just love this time of year in the forest. The beautiful wildflowers are all abloom. It is peak time here. The white trillium are gorgeous. Don't those fallen logs with their coats of different lichen and moss remind you of turtles? They make me think they are animals similar to turtles with different types of shells. All different scales and patterns. They seems so alive instead of dead. Still helping the world with nutrition.

Ginnymo said...

Beautiful post Nina!! When I was able, I used to go to the country and find an old dirt road and walk along it to see the wild flowers. They are interesting and unique in their quiet solitude. I went to get moss too..LOL

Deborah Godin said...

A soft spring rain in the woods - there's few things nicer. and you mayapple reminds me, I want to get a new market umbrella for the patio this year...

Kathie Brown said...

Nina, what a lovely rain! Aren't trillium's a protected flower? I have never heard of may apples before. You will have to show me some. What do they do and why are they called mayapples? Lovely prose as always.

NCmountainwoman said...

Lovely post, Nina.

I've always heard that where there are Mayapples in the rain there are sure to be morels. Have you found any?

Tom said...

Hi Nina
It seems that many of us bloggers are out and about with the camera getting spring time pictures. I was out this past few days... your pictures are as lways... very beautiful.

Endment said...

So glad you posted these photos... I will go out searching this weekend
Love your raindrops on the plants

My camera is calling ....
the woods are calling ....