Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bugshot

Wheel Bugs, Arilus cristatus
mating pair

I walk my trails often, looking for life.
Seeking that bug peering out from beneath a leaf or the spider hidden deep within her narrow tube of a funnel web.
Creeping along on my knees or chasing a setting sun before it slips over the edge of the world.
Sometimes the end result betrays its arduous capture.

And, then I stumble upon a pair of bugs.
So plainly displayed on the peeling white door of our little red shed—
as if holding a sign, “Please take our picture.”
These Wheel Bugs, in the morning sun of an autumn day, assure me there will be many to capture next year, as well.


Wheel bugs, Arilus cristatus, are one of the largest "true bugs" of North America, having sucking mouth parts and able to deliver a painful bite.
A great fixture for your garden; a great predator of other insect pests.

And the one bug I seem to run into everywhere!

For more Camera Critters, look here!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

Unknown said...

That is one complicated bug: it looks like the king of the cricket world.

Naturegirl said...

Nina I am chuckling as I picture you "creeping along on your knees"
like you're a peeping tom!Tee hee
Great capture!

Mary said...

I've never seen a Wheel Bug before...what a bizzare looking creature! Great photo of it!

Anonymous said...

Wheel bugs are so cool. I have never heard about them before this. Thanks!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have seen one of these before. I didn't know what it was. Now I do. Thank you.

Susan Gets Native said...

Hey, I know that bug!

Julie Zickefoose said...

Looking at these two spectacularly bizarre creatures coupling, I'm reminded of my mother's reply when I wailed, "Why can't any cool guys get a crush on me??"

"There's someone for everyone, dear."

Hmm. Somehow it didn't make me feel a lot better.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Yes, Julie--I don't know why I love these guys but I do! They're better than something from a Star Wars movie. And I imagine even their little insect hearts swell when they see eachother from across the field, don't you? Finding another of their kind.

cestoady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

well bugs are so good

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful bugs!

Marvin said...

This must be a very good fall for wheel bugs -- for some reason beyond my comprehension. I've seen a couple posted and many around our place. I don't remember a high population of fall wheel bugs in years past, but that could just be my memory.

Crafty Green Poet said...

very ornate and fascinating looking bug,

Tootie said...

Very interesting, I've never seen one of those before.

marLou said...

Wow! They look prehistoric. Nice pics.

Carletta said...

What an interesting looking bug. I had never heard of it until now - thanks for sharing.
Great shot!

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting shot of those bugs! I like to stroll around too looking for life;) Very nice captions! Thanks for the nice read;)

Mine is posted HERE. Happy CC!~

Jane Hards Photography said...

Scary, but fabulous close up.

sandyshares said...

amazing tandem shots

ratmammy said...

wow, very interesting creatures!