Monday, June 18, 2007

A bright spot in my day


The trumpet vines are brilliant spots in the green woods. They've seeded themselves all over the yard--and every fencerow is buried in a fast-growing mass. We'd probably lose our house in the greenness, if we didn't keep plucking them from the cedar shakes. But I forget their irritating nature when they open their showy flowers--the only bright spot in the woods, for now.

This evening I visited the nest boxes in the field again. For several days now, the tree swallow parents have been keeping their voracious children fed--a non-stop labor, one, then the other, swooping into the box. Two birds on an exhausting mission.
I haven't peeked inside--I'm afraid to upset their happy existence.
So, I stand every evening, watching, a few feet from their house, hoping to catch glimpses of the family. The parents are very accepting of me--usually flying closely overhead, then slipping past me, and into the box. I can hear the chirping within--a flurry of excitement each time the next bite is delivered.

Feeding...
Feeding...
Feeding...
Feeding...
Feeding...
Feeding...


And tonight, a treat for me!
I finally see them--in a sky full of swallows.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Q said...

Hi Nina,
The Swallows are divine!
Wonderful action shots.
I felt as if I too was watching them.
Sherry

KGMom said...

While I am glad to read of the swallow family, I love the photo of the trumpet vines. WOW--they really are brilliant.

cestoady said...

Wonderful action shots. Now that you have your first swallow family ,you can be ready for them next year when this year's crop is back again to start their own families.

Winter is always a good time to make new nest boxes.

Dorothy said...

I have two bluebird boxes Nina, and the tree swallows occupy one.
Loved looking at your photos, I'll bet your property is gorgeous!

RuthieJ said...

Those trumpet vines are so pretty. Do you have hummingbirds coming to them?

I had only one pair of tree swallows nesting this year and they have now abandoned the nest. I'm so sad. They're so fun to watch. Enjoy yours.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Yes, they're sweet birds--very curious of us, and social. Standing in the field with them is like attending a remote-controlled airplane expo--they're diving and swooping and circling very close!
And I'd think the hummers go to trumpet vines--except ours have a well-stocked feeder (2) that they're in the habit of visiting. It brings them closer for us to see!

Mary said...

Nina, I'm jealous. I had barn swallows last year and the activity was intense and so much fun! They are noisy and messy, but I loved them on my porch. I miss them this year.

Keep watching - swallows are very trusting. You'll get close...

You are living in such a nature-filled place!

Susan Gets Native said...

Same thing happened to me as ruthiej. They laid a clutch, the eggs disappeared, they laid another, and then they were gone, leaving 4 perfect eggs behind. Damn.
If you want a peek at the nest next year, you can allow yourself one. It takes a sledgehammer to chase healthy TRES from a nest permanently.